Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out With the Old

Today is the last day of 2009. It's also the last day of my employment at this firm. I can't say I'm sad to see either one go.

In all honesty, however, this year hasn't been too awful bad. Probably our best yet, all things considered. We slowly started to crawl out of our debt hole, Bob has been doing pretty well, db has been relatively mellow. Ben found a better job, or at least, a job with a better salary. The toddler has been an absolute delight for us all. I lost 35 pounds and have kept it off for 6 months. I learned to sew. We spent a lot of time at the pool this summer and I re-discovered biking.

So all in all, not too shabby. Maybe 2010 will be better, still. That would be awesome.

Certainly my job situation should improve, which will make me happier, which will just improve everything overall.

I took advantage of my remaining vacation time and took yesterday off. I decided it wasn't going to be a "chores" day; I was just going to hang with Bob and do crap with him. We played a lot of Super Mario Bros. (which I suck at) and Battleship (which he sucks at) and he and Ben spent 3 hours in the snow building a snow fort (which is awesome). As I was putting him to bed last night, he said to me, "you're the best mom ever."

Aw...gee whiz. :)

This morning I dropped him off to spend the next 4 days with db. I hope he has a good time. I'll miss him. But I will make good use of the time, going through some old clothes that don't fit any of us and (hopefully) selling them on line, cleaning up the house, putting away the Xmas stuff, and prepping things for the week ahead.

We don't really "do" New Years. It's such a non-event for me anymore. I feel more like a "new" year is starting in August, when school starts after the summer. Or on my birthday, when I start a new year. January 1 is just the final end of all the holiday bs. Which is reason to celebrate, yes. And I will celebrate with a stiff drink and a grilled cheese sandwich and going to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment